Jewish cemeteries in the Trenton, New Jersey area range from private (Jewish only) cemeteries to consecrated Jewish ground within larger non-sectarian cemeteries. The oldest cemeteries are Jewish only, surrounded by high fences and are filled with the exception of a handful of graves. They are maintained by their synagogues. The next group of Jewish only cemeteries, several congregation and small lodge cemeteries, is located near Cedar Lane in Hamilton Township. Short fences with concrete footpaths surround these cemeteries. The newer cemeteries are dedicated Jewish grounds within larger public cemeteries in both Hamilton and Ewing Townships. These have black-topped roads for vehicles; the Jewish sections are open without any enclosures.
Almost from its inception in 1883, Congregation Brothers of Israel sponsored a Burial Society whose charter was written in Yiddish. In 1885 land was acquired on Vroom and Liberty Streets in Trenton for use as a congregational cemetery. In 1913 additional space was needed. Because no adjoining land was available, a tract along Cedar Lane was purchased.
Cemetery records are maintained in the synagogue office.
In December 2013 CBOI donated burial information for over 1200 burials to the JewishGen Online Worldwide Burial Registry. CBOI is the first Trenton-area synagogue to make records available through this valuable online resource. The records are searchable for free at http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/Cemetery/. Please contact the synagogue office at 215-579-2200 if we can be of further assistance.